Parsons-educated, Malaysian designer Zang Toi debuted his FW’17 collection at New York Fashion Week—sending models down the runway sporting one of the most elegant hairstyles: the French Twist Chignon.
The French Twist, and its many variations, first became popular in the 50s and 60s—but have seen a major resurgence in recent years. The up-do (or should we say, semi up-do) has shed its prom roots, and is an elegant-but-simple hairstyle to wear to the office.
The French Twist is truly an accessible style, perfect for those who want a put-together look without having to sit at a salon for hours. Lead stylist Elji Yamane created a balanced Chignon, sleek but taut for Zang Toi’s NYFW show.
Below, Yamane breaks down—step-by-step—how to replicate the elegant French Twist Chignon using Macadamia Professional products. Feel free to swap them our for a brand of your own choice!
1. Start by distributing Macadamia Professional Blow Dry Lotion evenly throughout your hair, then section hair and blow dry.
2. Parting your hair in the centre, pull it back into a low ponytail around the nape of your neck. Pulling the pony tightly to make sure that the crown of your hair is smooth and sleek.
3. Separate the pony into three sections, then braid the sections all the way through the length of the tail. Close the braid with an elastic.
4. Fold the new braid in half and, after you tucked the braid up, pin it into place using bobby pins.
5. Using a hair extension that matches the colour of your hair, take one section and clip the extension under the braid—and curling up, create a large loop wrapping around to the right side of braid. Secure using bobby pins.
6. Repeat the above step (5) at the top section and middle section to create a loose, “crescent”-shaped chignon—ensuring that the inside braid is completely covered by the extension.
7. Spray the chignon with Macadamia Professional Style Lock Strong Hold Hairspray to lock it in place.
8. Gently smooth all pulled-back hair using a comb and apply Macadamia Professional Whipped Detailing Cream to tame fly-aways.
9. Last but not least, spray a little Macadamia Professional Weightless Moisture Dry Oil Micro Mist for some added shine.